Wednesday, December 14, 2022

Reflections on Kenya

 This is reflections on Kenya. I will say, for me, it was not easy.  The reason I say this is because we could not really go outside, which puts me in a bad mood. There was no basketball hoops or parks, and we had just come from Italy, so Kenya was a huge wave of real travel. Italy was so easy to travel around. It was super touristy and safe. I mean I could walk around all by myself and I would be just fine (might even get some free cheese and a baguette). So Kenya was a splash of reality. We stayed at someone’s house (Ms. Alice and William) while we volunteered at a school where a lot of displaced or poor kids went. William and Ms.Alice also had adopted 11 children, so I had some kids to play with even though they like soccer and I like basketball. 

One of the days that we were there we went to the giraffe center for my Dads birthday with another nice volunteer from Brazil named Amanda. The giraffe center was cool. I listened to the worker’s informational talk that he gave and that was interesting. And one thing that I do not understand is my parents really expected me to put my hand near the giraffe’s mouth! Anything that has a mouth that big, I don’t want to be anywhere near it. There was another time when they wanted me to stand next to the giraffe for a picture.Why would you stand next to one of those things? My parents said it was safe, but I trusted the sign on the boardwalk that said “Beware of the giraffes-they will headbutt if you stand too close”. And believe it or not everyone there was standing right next to them. Point is, that I am more comfortable and, I like more, to be observing.

A little while after that, we went on a safari! It was so fun! We got to see every safari animal in that park (Masai Mara) except the rhino. We even saw the really hard to find ones like cheetahs, rare cat thingy, crocodile, leopard with a kill up in a tree, and 3 prides of lions, one of which had a torn in half dead zebra! We even got to see a ton of my favorite safari animal: the Cape Buffalo (the one in the big five that looks like a buffalo)! We got to stay in this cool army tent (rhino tourist camp, if you want to search it up) and there was a herd of wild cows that came to our yard every day! I hand fed them grass because even though they have big mouths they are not scary; they’re actually really nice. After the days there, we went back on the 7hour drive on the pot-hole road: they call it the African Massage. 

At the end of when we stayed with William and Ms.Alice, we got gifts that I will show you in the pictures.

That’s pretty much it my dear readers. FWI I updated my Book List and Things I Do In My Free Time. Thank you guys very much and I will update soon.

 Me saying bye to my family at the border of Kenya and Tanzania

Cheetah that walked right past our Jeep.

 Me at the Giraffe Center.

 Sleeping on the way to the Safari.

  Giraffe.

 Two of the younger orphan kids.

Elephants.

My favorite: The Cape Buffalo!

 Safari Jeep.

Leopard lounging in the tree.

 Amanda and I at the school.

 Herd of elephants.

Me accepting my gifts.

 Giraffe.

Leopard on the tree branch.

 Dad and his gifts.

 Elephant baby.

 Wildabeast, I am very fond of them too.

 Leopard.

Giraffe looking off into the distance for Instagram photo.

My cow friends.

Me at the Giraffe Center.

Hyena chillin in warm mud. I love this picture.

Giraffe.

Male lion with zebra.

Zebra.


11 comments:

  1. I have thoroughly enjoyed reading about your adventures, especially you and the giraffes !! When it comes to animals you have good sense ..go with your gut and the warning signs. Amazing photos of the animals on your safari. Your experience of the harsh reality of this piece of the world, to not be able to freely wander outside will be forever in your mind.
    I enjoy reading your blog love your perspective, with a bit of humor !!
    Vicki Gerow

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for reading my blog! Sorry that I did not respond sooner, we have been doing a lot since it is around Christmas. These photos are from my parents phone, I have way better pictures on my camera. I will probably upload my camera pictures to my blog at the end of our journey and I will just do a recap. And for the humor, you always need it if you want to keep your readers hooked in! Lastly, for the giraffes just why...just WHY would you put your hand near its mouth? I did it in the end though after a-lot of pressure. Thank you for responding and have a nice Christmas week!

      Delete
  2. Hi Sila! This is your auntie Kellie in Portland! I love reading it blog and your mom’s, too! You and your parents are so cool, and I’m totally jealous of your adventures! Even though I know traveling is exciting, I also know it can be really exhausting. But it’s worth it. These are memories and experiences that you will have forever in your heart and on your blog! You crazy kids be safe, have fun, be silly, and enjoy your adventures! We miss you and we wish you happy holidays from the states!

    Love, Kellie, Todd, and TJ

    P.S. I’m going to have TJ read your blog this afternoon when he gets home from school. I’m pretty sure he’s going to start begging me for an amazing adventure like yours! Who knows, maybe you and your parents will inspire us to plan our pin adventure! 😊💕

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello! Thank you for reading my blog! It has been a good adventure (with some rough parts)! We are all enjoying traveling but also missing home. As for your guys adventure you should do it! Most likely sooner the better because once you get well into High School it is hard to take that much time off. Hope everything is well in Portland! Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year! Thank you for reading my blog and I hope you are inspired by it! -SilaG

      Delete
  3. Hello Sila,
    I am a friend of your Mom and Dad; we work together at FGCU. Your story made me long for the wild adventures of Africa. Do you think someone who is healty and over 70 years old could also go on a Safari? I love giraffes and have actually been in their compound at the Toledo, Ohio Zoo. They did not head butt me and I loved the feel of their long tongues. You are very wise though to pay attention to the signs. I will read your others posts and catch up on your journey.
    Jackie Greene

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Sheila! It was surprisingly not hard to stay in the Jeep because the Jeep driver got REALLY close to the animals (they all do). We actually got to see a (herd?) of them on the side of the road while we were driving to the safari. We are not really following the World Cup because I am the only one in my family that (sort-of) follows sports and I only follow basketball. But I am glad that you are keeping me updated! We are having fun in Cambodia! There’s actually a roller blading rink and I really like it! I have started roller blading and have gotten decently good, but you will hear more about that in my new blog that I am going to work on! Thank you for responding and Merry Christmas!
    -SilaG

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Jackie! I am glad that our adventures are inspiring you! And to answer your question I think that someone over 70 and healthy could totally go on the safari. There are all types of people young and old on the safari. I do find giraffes fascinating, and I admit that I over exaggerated a little for the humor, but never the less here is a link to the giraffe center if you want to see it. https://www.giraffecentre.org
    So that it the link and they have amazing giraffes. If you want to stay in Kenya you can volunteer at this school (you can ask my parents more about it) and they give you housing, food, help you find safari trips, and just help you get around. The kids are great and the parents are super nice! Thank you for reading my blog! A new one is coming soon. Merry Christmas! -SilaG

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Mondamin adventure boy! What a treat to read of your adventures! I have been busy at Asheville school. We have had a lot of canoe and kayak trips this Fall. Now that it is winter I am looking forward to our Ski Team forays. We go every Wednesday afternoon. I hear you are in Borneo now and can't wait to hear what you are doing there! Remember all your stories and adventures!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, Lecky! Thanks so much for reading up on my adventures and commenting! I am working on a new post today so keep on the look out for the next couple days. Borneo is really fun! We got to cruise up a river in a motorboat and even though they were just class- ones it was fun and reminded me of camp! I will remember my adventures and share them with you in person this summer. My dad is going to go to Nantahala next summer and is going to try to be a raft guide! How are you guys doing in the Asheville school? Anything exiting happening? Looking forward to seeing you and Ms. Chapman next summer and being in the 2nd paddling group! Thank you for responding and reading! -SilaG

      Delete
  7. Holy mackerel! I was cracking up reading this post! I know it was meant to be serious, but I still found it pretty funny. Honestly, you've got pretty smart logic about the animals with big mouths, and the sign that clearly stated that the giraffes are into headbutting. I am usually the friend in my travel groups who does the more questionable stuff, so I would definitely have gotten next to the giraffe. Smart? No. But still. The pictures from this post are so awesome!! Those safari animals sure know how to pose for a picture, and that hyena really makes warm mud look like fun. The craziest picture was the lion with its prey! I would have been so nervous to be that close to a big cat while it was feeding. I cannot wait to see elephants in the wild one day; Africa is one of the trips I'm most excited to do.

    Thanks for being so honest about the tough realities of travel. I think it's really special that you were able to have that experience, especially because it wasn't easy. Don't get me wrong, I love the comforts of Italy, but not many people get to experience real Africa where we're from. I'm a little behind, so I'm going to get to reading the rest of your posts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, thank you for reading and commenting.The post was meant to be slightly humorous but mostly from my true thoughts, opinions, feelings, etc. And the logic of “animals and big mouths” that’s just what should come out of your brain when you see a giraffe, not “O.M.G look how cute the giraffe is, I should go put my hand near its mouth”! The pictures from the post are cool but I took better ones on my camera. The hyena in the mud was one of my favorite pictures on my camera from the safari. He was basically posing, I bet the mud feels nice and warm too. The lion and the ripped-open zebra was cool to see. There was 5 or more behind the bush. Real Africa was hard if you’re not staying at the 5star Hilton but it is cool looking back at the fact that you were at the safari. Thanks for reading and taking time to comment. -SilaG

      Delete